Sushi Tengoku - Kensington

>> Sunday, April 11, 2010


Have you ever discovered a really good place and know that it is before long before other people discover it too? This is the case for me with Susi Tengoku.

I came across this place more than 6 years ago as it was the closest Japanese restaurant near my apartment back in the university days. I didn't want to try it at first - as from the outside, this Japanese eatery does not have the most welcoming entrance. Situated next to a dry-cleaning service on the busy Anzac Parade, it looked a bit run-down and uninviting.

But this place as I have discovered, is not about its interior/exterior design or service.

Take for example, my pot of tea with a lid which does not close:


It's all about the quality (and portion) of the food. After my first visit, I knew I'd come back again as the food is unlike any other Japanese restaurants I've tried in Sydney. The serving sizes are huge (although pricer) and more authentic than a lot of other places.

I love tomago (egg omelettes) and the ones served here are so good. It's juicy and eggy ;) It is not plasticky or dry like the ones I've had around Sydney.

Tomago + Scallop sushi

Salmon Belly + Fish Roe sushi

Aburi scallop

Fried chicken

Soft shell crab roll

Unagi (eel) + Salmon Handroll

Yasai Tempura roll

This place used to have hardly any customers back in the days and I never had problems getting a table. But now, if you don't have a reservation or come after 5:30pm, you'd be lucky to get a seat! The service is not that great as they have a small team of staff but the food is worth it!

Between the 3 of us, the bill came up to around $80. But we had to doggy bag some of the rolls as it was too much. Still delicious the next day at work ;)

Sushi Tengoku
121 Anzec Parade
Kensington NSW 2033
TEL: 02 96633388

Reservation recommended.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP