Chocolate and Apple French Toast

>> Saturday, October 30, 2010


Ok, this isn't how it was supposed to happen this morning.

I'm usually pretty good with breakfast.  I have my heart healthy oatmeal or quinoa and a whole lot of fruit on a normal day. And if you have been reading my blog, you'd know that I do try to post healthy recipes and enjoy taking out 'bad' ingredients in my meals and substituting them with more wholesome alternatives.

But maybe today just wasn't a normal day.

You see, I woke up craving for chocolate. And some jazz. A strange morning indeed.



Then a block of chocolate with raisons and pistachio from Koko Black was just sitting on top of my dressers.

It was meant to be sent to a friend in Sydney last week but unfortunately I left it near my window and the sun melted the chocolate and turned it slightly wonky shaped.

That can only mean one thing. I need to buy another block of chocolate...and eat the wonky one myself.


So I turned it into a french toast along with apples. 

Oh my...I'm not sure if this was a good idea afterall.

Because I don't know if I can ever go back to my oatmeal. 

As if french toasts aren't tempting enough, the addition of the melting chocolate goo and the crunch of the apples makes eating this so finger-licking good. I think bananas or strawberries would work well here too.


Chocolate and Apple French Toast
Inspired by Masa
Serves 4
  • 8 slices of toast (I used multi-grain)
  • 1 Fuji apple (don't use granny smith)
  • 2 blocks of chocolate
  • Handful of Almond slices
Flour Batter
  • 1 tbsp of flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
Milk Batter
  • 1 egg
  • 200ml milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar (I used brown sugar)
1. Mix all the ingredients from the Flour Batter section of the ingredients together in a small bowl.

2. Peel and slice the apple thinly and place evenly on the toast. 

3. Break a block of chocolate in half, and place it on top of the apples on the toast.


4. Use a spoon to carefully ladle the flour batter onto the side of the toast before placing another slice of toast on top of it. Place a plate on top of the 2 slices to ensure they stick together.


5. Mix the ingredients from the Milk/Egg Batter together in a large bowl and dip the 2 'glued' slices of toast into the batter on both sides. Make sure you don't dip it for too long otherwise the toasts will be soggy.



6. Turn the gas on low heat, add some butter as once it's melted add the sliced almonds and gently stir around the pan.


7. Place the batter-dipped sandwich onto the pan directly on top of the almonds and leave it there until it is golden brown on the bottom side. Flip the sandwich over and again wait until it is golden brown. Remember the gas/stove is to be set on low, you don't want the crust to be burnt and the chocolate not melting inside.


8. Once out of the pan, place on a board and cut it in half!


Oh, and it might be a good idea to sprinkle some icing sugar (powder sugar) on the toast. I didn't have them in my pantry.

But yeah, you know the rest.

Go make yourself some tea or coffee and sit back. Watch the rain outside (raining on Melbourne Cup weekend!) and and turn on some sweet vocal jazz ;)

19 comments:

Rebecca October 31, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

This looks utterly delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try this out!

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry October 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

This is not the place to be when hungry. That oozing chocolate looks so come-hither. I want to get my fork and take a big bite. I wish this would appear on a plate in from of me right now.

Louberry November 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM  

This looks delicious! I'm definitely going to give putting apples in my french toast a go! I've been thinking about it for a while now, but couldn't figure out how!

Bakeolicious November 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

Oh my, what a decadent dish.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new baking photo gallery showcasing the beautiful baking, sweets and dessert.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart November 1, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

Oh, what a delicious combination of ingredients ~ looks amazing! A splurge is okay occasionally :) I am going to peruse some more of your great posts!

Viv November 2, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

Rebecca: Do try it out...it's such indulgence for a brekkie :P

Lynne: Most of the time when I read your blog, I wish that the food would appear in frotn of me too hehe

Louberry: Haha really? Now you know a way to do that and give it a try!

Bakeolicious: Thanks :)

LDH: Yes occasional splurge is good :) Thanks!

Simone Anne November 2, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

OH MY GOSHHH that looks SO yummy. mmmmm.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

That last pic looks so divinely edible! :P it's times like these that I wish I had breakfast!

sugarpuffi November 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

you go into soooooooooooo much trouble just to make breakfast! but it does look utterly delicious. mmm....melted chocolate goo...

Jen November 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Now this is a breakfast I can do! I normally don't have much of an appetite in the morning but I would totally wake up for this! Yum!

Celeste @ Berrytravels November 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Ohhh this looks absolutely guilty but so so pleasurable! But chocolate for breakfast? Mmmmm... I hope the rest of the day didn't follow the example breakfast set ! ;p

kirbie November 3, 2010 at 3:11 AM  

Wow, this looks so good! I need to treat myself to this soon.

Anonymous,  April 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM  

wow, I am doing this tomorrow for breakfast

Cookie and Kate May 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM  

Woah! Looks amazing. I bet your French toast would be great with Nutella, too... because Nutella tastes good on everything!

Anonymous,  November 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM  

Though beauty gives you a weird sense of entitlement, it's rather frightening and threatening to have others ascribe such importance to something you know you're just renting for a while. ytravelalone.com |

weddingshopblog.com |

party-magazines.com |

wedding-dash-online.com |

theplanneronline.com |

forbeautifulbride.com |

weddingssalononline.com |

abqweddingphotography.com |

essenceweddingsandthings.com |

lifeinweddingsblog.com |

weddingplanningalacarte.com |

zakarts.com |

Accredited GED Online January 29, 2015 at 5:45 PM  

great work has done thanks for sharing and keep it up

Anonymous,  July 18, 2018 at 11:40 PM  

Good look and Sweet french toast. I like it very much.

Kerala Lottery Result

Kerala Lottery Result Today

Lottery Result Today

Barbarian King February 19, 2021 at 6:22 PM  

You can also buy bio cocaine online and get it delivered right at your location in the right time too. Now no more waiting to get a hassle frees service.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP