Homemade Almond Milk + Black Sesame Cookies

>> Sunday, October 30, 2011


I realised I haven't been updating as often as I used to or would like to! But I want to say if you've been following - thank you for continuing to visit this little space here and your encouraging words. Or just coming as a silent visitor! :)

Life has been kinda pulling me in all directions lately. And so I've just been...waiting. On different things. 

And talking about waiting, while I was tapping my fingers for these black sesame cookies to bake, I picked up my lately neglected camera and took some random shots around the home. I learnt that for me it is difficult to develop an eye to view things so familiar and mundane and capture them through a different lens in a way I've not seen before. A different perspective. I think that's what continues to challenge me and requires me to really stretch my not-so-dominant right brain (aka creative side).






Thanks Julz!

A while ago, I noticed my supermarket starting to stock up on various milk alternatives - like oat milk and almond milk. There definitely has been different 'milk' trends over the years! 

I grew up detesting milk (the traditional cow's milk, that is) yet was forced to drink it as my parents told me it's full of calcium to help me grow taller (it's probably safe to conclude that milk did nothing to my height.) Then later on, there was this debate on why the cow's milk is designed for...uhhh only cows, and not us humans, and how it can actually promote cancer. 


Then the health conscious (particularly those living in the western society) started making the switch to drinking soy milk. Before I knew it, articles after articles were published to discuss how soy milk can lead to infertility and all that kinda bad stuff.

How confusing does this all get? Do these information affect you at all? As for me, not really. I still continue to drink my milk and soy (can't quite imagine a dairy-free or soy-free lifestyle!)...but in moderation like all good things I suppose.


Almond milk, on the other hand, just doesn't seem to have any bad reports (hmmm yet?!) It's full of vitamins and antioxidants, low in fat and calories (compared to normal milk). And contains no cholesterol! Perhaps the only downside that I know of is the cost! At over $5 a litre over here, I can see that not many can afford to make the switch.

And so I learnt recently you can make it at home for a fraction of the cost and it really doesn't require much effort or time too. Just soak raw almonds over night in water, and then blitz it together with water and sieve! Voilaaaa, you've just made fresh almond milk!


Homemade almond milk is soo creamy and very delicious with my morning porridge. 

It makes for the best afternoon tea treat with these buttery, crunchy black sesame cookies too! 


They say milk and cookies make a great pair. They are just meant to be and belong together.

I'd say the same applies for almond milk too :)


Anyways, I hope you have a joyous week ahead! God's mercies are new every morning...even on Monday mornings ;)

Almond Milk
  • Raw almonds 
  • Water 
  • Honey (optional) 
  • A blender cheese cloth or a sieve 
Note: Use almond and water in the ratio 1:4 (I went with 1:3 which was more creamy. You can dilute it later if you wish).

1. Soak the almonds overnight in water.


2. The next day, drain the almonds. Add the almonds and (fresh) water (in the ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 water to almonds), to a blender.

3. Blend well. Add a touch of honey to sweeten (if you wish. I didn't as I found almond naturally sweet already on their own).


4. Strain through either a sieve or cheese cloth.


I've yet to figure out what to do with the left over almond bits...any ideas?


Black Sesame Cookie
Makes 20 6cm cookies
  • 65g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 40g sugar (I used raw)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 egg (~15g), room temperature
  • 1 tsp milk, room temperature
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 125g cake flour, sifted
  • 20g black sesame, toasted
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter until smooth.  Gradually add in the sugar.

2. Mix the egg, milk and baking powder together in a bowl. Add mixture slowly to the cream/sugar in previous step while continuing to mix in a stand mixer (or hand held mixer).

3. Add the sifted flour and salt into the stand mixer and mix until just combined, then add in the black sesame seeds. Let the dough mix for another few seconds.


4. With a spatula, combine the black sesame seeds well into the dough. Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper with a rolling pin until the dough is around 3mm thick.


5. Transfer to a flat cookie sheet and refrigerate for around 2 hours.

6. Preheat the oven to 170C.

7. Use your favourite cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as you can and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Remember to pierce the cookies once or twice with a fork before you bake!

8. Bake for around 12-14 minutes. Check your oven and take out if already slightly browned.


42 comments:

hanushi October 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM  

Your cookies look so uniform. :) Nice shots!

JasmyneTea October 31, 2011 at 12:34 AM  

Your cookies look so great, and your almond milk looks even better!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart October 31, 2011 at 1:23 AM  

Two fantastic recipes! The cookies are so unique, attractive and tempting!

I am and always have been a milk drinker. We use 2% because of the lower fat content but I really love cold, cold whole milk. My friends have been drinking almond milk as has my daughter, Jamie. I have tasted it but for me it's just not as satisfying. I am so excited to share this recipe and maybe give it a try myself. Like trying to develop an eye (taste) to view things so familiar in a new light. :)

I recognize several of the books on your shelf. My daughter gave us the Prodigal God. We were going to study it during our weekly Wednesday evening Bible Study. We decided instead on CJ Mahaney's Living the Cross Centered Life. Jill also gave us, Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges and Alistair Begg's The Hand of God.

My reading list is growing!
A joy stopping in to visit with you!
Hope your week ahead is full of blessings as you wait :)

Janine October 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

oh wow I really never knew that almond milk is that easy to make! and black sesame cookies sure sound awesome with that milk :)

and I think it's a matter of forcing yourself to look for new perspectives no? I too find it hard, so I've to constantly push and remind myself to look at things differently, though sometimes a friend's eyes might help ;)

Alice @ Yireservation October 31, 2011 at 2:44 AM  

OHHHH!! I love almond milk!! I used to get the commercial ones and Thanks for sharing the recipe I am going to make my own!!! It is definitely a healthy choice!!

the cookies look so good too! very healthy hearty snack! YUMMMMMM~~~*

Aizi October 31, 2011 at 5:34 AM  

how do you do it? everything looks wonderful and so summery!

i love black sesame, well, black or white, doesn t matter, but these cookies are a definite must-try!

Lori October 31, 2011 at 6:42 AM  

So glad you shared the almond milk process. I've wanted to try it, but I'm so turned off by the options in the States. Many have additives and sweeteners are are very processed. Making it yourself is definitely the answer. These cookies are going on my holiday baking list! I love black sesame.

Tina @ bitemeshowme October 31, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

You still have got your camera skills. Your photos are gorgeous! I love the vintage type photos. You must give me some tips ;)

The milk and cookies look great! Could do with some right now..

Torviewtoronto October 31, 2011 at 8:47 AM  

cookies look delicious lovely pictures

renee@sweetsugarbean October 31, 2011 at 2:38 PM  

Almond milk is my creamy white beverage of choice. Thanks for showing how to make - looks easy, I could totally do it! Cookies are cool - i love sesame anything. Your photos are lovely, keep snapping away!

Von October 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

I used to hate drinking milk as a kid too, but now I love it!! I haven't tried any other type of milk (other than soy....which I haven't had for AGES!) but almond milk sounds very yummy!! I'll definitely have to try it out some day....I think I may have some almonds right now! Your cookies look very pretty too ;)

StarletStarlet October 31, 2011 at 6:34 PM  

This is such a comprehensive post with amazingly beautiful pictures. But the first thing that was out of my mouth (and stays in my head) is:

You made YOUR OWN almond milk? That's CRAZY! You're like a genius. And patient. wow. How long did it take you to do it?

P.S. oooh, I cannot wait for your 7 things!

Nami | Just One Cookbook October 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

Vivienne, beautiful cookies and post. Your blog always give welcome feeling and I'm feeling very comfortable here, as I'm your guest. I just love visiting here. I like cookies with black sesame seeds. I can already smell the black sesame aroma... yum!

Anonymous,  October 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

This is such a great idea. I've always loved the thought of sesame as a sweet thing.
And you're right about the conflicting information about nondairy and dairy milks. I've just taken to drinking many different varieties, save cows milk, which I dislike. Seems to work for me. When I get back to the US (I'm abroad) I just might try making this!

Julie October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

The macarons I bought you are now famous ^__^ haha <3. Love the idea of a almond milk, I am so curious and I would to try this myself :)

Vivian - vxdollface November 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

You could use the rest of the almond bits in cookies/cakes! Mum has a soy milk machine so she makes it every night, and sometimes incorporating almonds or black sesame into it. She usually mixes the left over almond bits into porridge :) yummy black sesame butter cookies <3 will make them tomorrow!

Nic@diningwithastud November 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

Wow! I love almond milk but never thought of making my own. Im also a black sesame fiend so these are perrrrfect :)

iva | in my kitchen November 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM  

hi! i came across your blog while searching for a green tea cake recipe. its baking in my oven as we speak now, so i'll let u know if it turns out well. Anyway, i'm browsing your other posts and absolutely love it! Its bookmarked now :)

Unknown November 6, 2011 at 12:34 AM  

almond bits in a cake would make it heavenly for sure. as for the debate over milk, I choose good, local raw milk and in moderation, as you said. However, I love almond milk, especially in summer, it is just so refreshing! And love the tiny cookies, too, thin and crunchy, perfect for dipping them in cold milk, yum!

Anonymous,  November 6, 2011 at 5:38 AM  

I've been making your Quinoa w/ Apple & Cinnamon with almond milk!! So delicious.. Glad to see a new post from you! :)

sugarpuffi November 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

ive only tried cow/soy/goat milk before. $5 for almond milk is...eeep! haha

looks like such a healthy cookie, as usual :p

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef November 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

Don't worry. I too have been super busy and not able to blog. I actually feel like a lot of bloggers have had a busy fall. Well, at least your posts are always gorgeous!

Jessica's Dinner Party November 11, 2011 at 4:37 AM  

I've totally fallen in love with almond milk in the last couple of months. Definitely need to try making my own!

Dolly November 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM  

ALMOND MILK?

OMG im totally makking that Viv!!!!! KUDOS for the idea XX

Christine November 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM  

Hey Foodies, this Sesame Cookie recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/609?source=blog

Jeannie November 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

Wow! I love your cookies, they are so evenly baked, and the almond milk sounds delicious! Beautiful photos, Viviene:)

Zoe November 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM  

Hi Viv,

The cookies and almond milk are so perfect for each other! Love the way that you presented them together.

Anonymous,  November 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM  

Love this post, Viv. The cookies are stunning. Speaking of different "milks," have you tried hemp milk?

Pear November 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM  

I've been following for several months now! Keep up the good work...love coming here!

Viv November 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

ricekernel: no i haven't! i have not heard of it here...after some googling just now, i am so keen to give it a go...maybe buy my own hemp seeds and make my own 'milk' ;) thanks for the suggestion :D

pear: thanks so much for following and your kind words :) hopefully will get back into updating more often soon!

Cooking Gallery November 20, 2011 at 4:08 AM  

I haven't visited for a while and now your creations are even better :)!! Love the idea of sesame cookies and how uniformed they look!

Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan November 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

Your cookies look beautiful!

Black sesame is actually quite a versatile ingredient to cook with. We made some black sesame ice-cream and it is delicious!

Hotly Spiced November 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM  

What a good idea. I had never thought to make my own almond milk and it seems quite simple to do. And your cookies look perfect.

W-Girl December 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM  

I love your blog and your pictures, the way you present the recipes, it's great.
Thank you for sharing !

Pankti January 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM  

Amazing idea for making your own almond milk... May be you can use leftover almonds to make cookies. Something like 'Almond Cookies'. In India, we make a milk with crushed almonds, pistachios, saffron and boil milk to make it thick. May be similar to that would be a good idea.

letty,  February 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM  

Hello! I found this recipe through Pinterest, and just made it. It's definitely going into my recipes file. I love black sesame, and these cookies taste wonderfully nutty, and are not too sweet/buttery. It's also a pretty forgiving/easy-to-work-with recipe. Despite messing up grams to cup measurement conversions and having to add back the ingredients I missed, this still came out great. I can only imagine how much more awesome it will be when I make it again correctly. Looking forward to trying other recipes here!

Viv February 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM  

letty, im so glad to hear that you like it :) makes me wanna make this again sometimes soon! i love it coz like you said, its not too sweet/buttery like short bread! hope you do try other recipes here and let me know :)

NewFish March 3, 2012 at 7:07 AM  

Beautiful Cookies! I am a big fan of black sesame (sesame in genera1) too. Sometimes I think I overdo things though. Coriander and Bishop's weed seed go well with black sesame seeds ground in a spice or coffee grinder or at least I like the flavor. Add a pinch of spirulina and some sweetener if you like. Can't do the sweet thing due to health issues but it's fun to think about anyway.

Nice Blog, by the way.

NewFish March 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM  

Just a thought about the almond solids. You may want to look into making almond cheese with them. Some sort of lactobacterial fermentation or fungus like for tempeh.

Just a thought.

Leaf September 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM  

Delicious almond milk. Mmmm.... thanks for sharing. :)

I like to use the leftover almond solids for topping on fruit, oatmeal, soak with overnight oats, pancakes, yogurt... they also work nicely to add moisture to muffins and breads and can be used to make treats like blueberry or lemon bars.

Kasandra,  October 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM  

You can dry your almond pulp out and use it to make almond flour for baking! It is super easy and amazing in cookies!

Unknown July 9, 2016 at 11:02 PM  

I like this a lot. Thank you for sharing. I'm always looking for upcycles like this. In the end, you don't know it was a shipping pallet to begin with!
www.friv2planet.com , www.juegosfrivol.com , www.friv400game.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP