Happy Mother's Day + Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

>> Sunday, May 8, 2011


Today especially, I love all mothers. Any mothers. Your mother and my mother

I smiled at mothers in the mall and helped a mother drag her crying/screaming boy out of the bus.

And who doesn't love the word, Mother. The first proper word out of most of our mouths!

So, my mother...my sunshine in the rain, and my oasis in the desert. She exudes unconditional love and infallible encouragement in my life.

And I will forever be unable to write down in words her worth to me. 


Recently, I flipped through old family albums and stumbled upon pictures of Mother's younger days. Days where I didn't exist...days where Dad wasn't even in the picture (don't worry Dad, there weren't any other boys). And I slowly came into a  shocking realisation...she had a life before us! (Thanks to generation ME upbringing).

So, here we go. Things I didn't know about Mother (in all colours and shades).

1. She sported a 70's hairstyle. I only got to see her 90's shoulder pads (eek!) Either way, she was up with fashion (unlike the girls she gave birth to.)


2. She's adventurous. I mean, do people actually do this kinda thing back in the days? She tells me how she had no money for food or piano lessons and here she is parachuting? I need an explanation. 


3. Mother's a gambler good at maths. I suspect she might have been one of those card counters. That'll explain why she can do crazy multiplications/divisions in her head. She denied these statements but I don't know.


4. She's creative and likes to be different. Mother cut out the original collar of her uniform and sewed her handmade collars on. 


5. She loves home renovation. Actually I already know about her artistic side but this confirms she doesn't knows how to paint. At all. Or hold a paintbrush even. But she does know how to make a home, a home. Or how to make that ugly cushion work with the sofa. She adds that kinda magic to anything.


Being someone who can't do any maths in her head and will probably pass out before being pushed out of a plane with a parachute, it looks like I didn't inherited much of Mother's genes. Hmmph, surely my sister was kidding when she said they found me in a garbage can, right? Or what was that story about being left outside the doorstep as a baby?

Heck, it doesn't matter. Because she loves me all the same. And that's why we celebrate Mother's Day.


Anyways, like most mothers, my mother is not someone who appreciates fine dining or expensive presents on special occasions, but she much more appreciates a daily phone call or a note, just to say hi.

So this Mother's Day - I've nothing extravagant prepared. Except some flowers and cookies. Rustic whole wheat cookies. Not dainty or pretty I'm afraid, but healthier (just slightly though, with whole wheat). Practical. Mums'll love that.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Good to the Grains
Makes 16-18 cookies
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar (I halved this and recommend you doing so too)
  • 1 cup sugar (I halved this)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces chocolate, chopped into bits (recipe calls for bittersweet, I used semi-sweet, because it was what I had)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or Silpats.

2. Whisk the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl in which you can use a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars. Once they are creamy, add the eggs and vanilla. Beat to combine.

4. Add the dry ingredients in two batches and mix. Finally, add the chopped chocolate and just stir to incorporate.


5. Scoop balls of dough that are approximately 3 tablespoons worth. I used a quarter cup scoop to make it easy. Bake for 16-20 minutes, rotating the pans so that they each spend half the bake time on top and half the time on the bottom.


5. When the baking time is up, remove the cookies from the sheets and let them cool.


Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's in the world. 

Thank you for showing me what unconditional love is.

42 comments:

Anonymous,  May 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM  

Sometimes we blog not just to share a recipe, but to share life and memories. Your sweet, loving post brought a smile to my face, Viv. Thanks for commenting on my mother's day post as well - I wanted to make your Japanese cheesecake infused with the strawberry puree, but was skeptical it would be too runny so I opted for an American version. Next time =) Have a wonderful weekend!

Raji May 8, 2011 at 2:03 AM  

Such a wonderful post Vivienne...your mom looks like a fun loving person...really very lovely pictures of hers..the cookies looks so wholesome..would love to dunk these plump cookies in a glass of cold milk.

Lisa May 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM  

What a beautiful post. I think she's gonna love your cookies. I certainly would. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweets-for-saturday-16.html

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart May 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM  

Such a beautiful post and beautiful mother!

"my sunshine in the rain, and my oasis in the desert. She exudes unconditional love and infallible encouragement in my life." ... aww that is a perfect definition of a mom and one I strive to be to my own daughters. You said it so sweetly!

The cookies and the flowers melt my heart. Can I adopt you?

Torviewtoronto May 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM  

lovely post
delicious looking cookies
happy mother's day

lisa is cooking May 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM  

Your mother is beautiful, and those are lovely photos. And, your cookies look like a perfect gift for Mother's Day!

Aizi May 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

Really really beautiful post. you are so lucky to still have your mom, so do give her that phone call ne ;-)... the cookies too look scrumptious. since i m up early this sunday, i might just bake a batch, hmmmmm
happy mother s day, Vivienne!
Aiko

Yi @ Yi Reservation May 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

That's so sweet of you. I wish I live with my mother so I can at least cook a special meal for her.
Anyway happy mother's day!

Jean May 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM  

your mom is really fashionable! i tot she looked really pretty when she's young :P and lovely cookies...they look really crunchy!

OohLookBel May 8, 2011 at 8:53 PM  

Yikes, your mother is gorgeous,and what a lovely tribute to her. These cookies sound delicious, I especially like the whole wheat flour.

Mary Bergfeld May 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM  

Vivienne, how lovely to have such wonderful photos of her. She sounds amazing and I'm sure would love your tribute to her. I also like your cookies. Your photos of them make them especially appealing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Maria May 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM  

Gorgeous photos Vivienne! And these cookies are just perfect for any day of the year!

Anonymous,  May 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

I have all the ingredients in my pantry already! Yum!

Jeannie May 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

That's a very lovely post showing your beautiful mom:) I am sure she reads this with great appreciation:); bet she'll love those cookies too!

Viv May 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

ricekernel: Thanks :) Yea, food and memories/life experiences intertwine. Yeah, the puree prob won't work with the Jap cheesecake! I tried it with taro and it was a fail :P

Raji: Thanks Raji :) I def did dunk those in a glass of milk...soo goood!

Lisa: Thanks! Sure, ill get to that laters!

LDH: Thanks Lorraine for your kind words :) Hope u had a great Mothers day! I think you're probably too busy with your beautiful grandkids to adopt me ;)

Torviewtoronto: thanks :)

lisa is cooking: thanks for your comment. My mum loves cookies so i guess these are 'perfect' for her ;)

Aizi: Yea Aiko I'm very thankful to still have my mum around!! Yes do make it and let me know how it goes :))

Yi: Thanks! I'm sure your mum would appreciate a cooked meal next time u visit her!

Jean: Haha yea def more fashionable than I am (even to this day!) Yeah those are crunchy cookies!

OhhLookBel: Thanks :) Never used 100% whole wheat in cookies before and this turned out great.

Mary: Thanks Mary! I'm not sure if she was happy when she found her photos up in the www tho ;)

Maria: Yes, perfect cookies for any occassions!

Yadi: Quick go make it now!

Jeannie: I hope so too :)

Lori May 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

What a beautiful post! I also love these cookies. That is one of my favorite cookbooks and those cookies turn out great every time.

Von May 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

Wow! Your mother sounds awesome! My mother would never let me put photos of her up on my blog...or any other place on the internet! :D And these cookies look so good! I haven't made choc-chip cookies for too long....

Food Glorious Food! May 10, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

You have a really lovely blog! wonderful recipes and great photography! I am new in blogging and Following you. Would like to invite you to follow me too!

http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  May 10, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

What a beautiful post, and a beautiful blog :) I love dropping whole wheat into my bakes, and chocolate chip cookies with 100% wholewheat definitely sounds up my alley! Thanks for sharing :)

birdie to be May 10, 2011 at 4:46 AM  

These cookies look amazing! They are so thick! Mine always fall after taking them out of the oven :(

www.birdietobe.blogspot.com

Juliana May 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM  

Lovely post Vivienne, and great pictures of your mom :-) The chocolate chips cookies look awesome, I love the idea of whole wheat, and like you always cut the amount of sugar in most of the recipes. Have a wonderful week ahead ;-)

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour May 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

What a beautiful and inspiring mother you have! You are truly blessed!

Zoe May 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM  

Happy Belated Mother's day to you and your mum. I love the way you wrote and described about your mum. On this day, I felt a lot for my mum. She has worked very hard for us but I've taken for granted for all the things that she has done...sad to say, I can't tell her all these anymore because she has passed away 7 yrs ago...*sign*

Joanne May 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

Aww this is the sweetest post EVER! I'm sure your mom appreciated it very much...she sounds like such a wonderful person!

And the cookies. Look. So. Good.

Julie May 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM  

I can see where you got your pretty looks from :D! when you baking me cookies again ;)?

Angie's Recipes May 11, 2011 at 2:35 AM  

Those chocolate cookies look splendid! So is your photography!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef May 11, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

Yum! If my dinner plans are cancelled tonight it's going to be me, the kitchen, and these cookies baking in the oven. :)

Anonymous,  May 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM  

Haha! You're hilarious! And this has got to be one of the sweetest posts I've ever read. I can tell how much your mother means to you : )
The cookies look absolutely delicous!

La Bella Cooks May 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

You ar so sweet, Vivienne and these pictures are a wonderful history to cherish. Mother's Day is probably my favorite day out of the whole year. It sums up my entire life, actually, now that I have children. Now, I just need to teach them to make these for me on Mother's Day ;)

Maris (In Good Taste) May 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

This was a beautiful tribute to your mom. She's very lucky!

Zoe May 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

Nice to know that you have checking out on me... I love reading your blog too and wouldn't want to miss out communicating with you.

Karen May 16, 2011 at 4:58 AM  

That's such a beautiful tribute to your mom! I love the pictures of her - isn't it funny to try to imagine our parents before us?? The cookies look finger licking good!

Anonymous,  May 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Such a wonderful mother's post! Thanks for sharing.

sugarpuffi May 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

wow you and your mother looks so similar! and wtf ur mum went parachuting! thats like hella adventurous. my mum says the same thing about no food etc but she goes and travels and climb mountains with no form of safety equipment. crazy.

Cookie and Kate May 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

I have yet to find the perfect whole wheat, classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but this one looks like a winner. I'll try it next!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager May 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

Hey your mum is pretty cool! Her photos remind me of my mum's when she was young (except the parachuting bit - that is very cool). Don't know about yours, but my mum looks pretty mumsy now. Does not bode well for me..

Alia May 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM  

Wow! Beautiful!

I really liked ur blog. Im ur new Follower!

Alia from http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

chopinandmysaucepan May 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

Your mum is very beautiful and you look like her :)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef October 2, 2012 at 6:27 AM  

I had this recipe in my inbox for awhile. Finally got around to making them. They were good! http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2012/10/whole-wheat-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
Definitely didn't need as much bake time as the recipe called for.

gotta know February 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM  

I'm not necessarily looking to bake cookies, just a 45 year old dude looking to make something yummy, but your homage to your mom (every mom) caught my eye and I got kind of glossy-eyed... Nice people are great. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP