Pineapple and Papaya Crumble

>> Monday, May 2, 2011


Hello Monday, hello May and hello You!

_______ makes me happy.

- Snuggling on the couch watching a movie.
- Reading e-mails from friends.
- Listening to oldie songs (and dancing to it like a dork.)
- Walking on fallen leaves....crunch!


- Finding a heart shaped stone (out of approx. 1 gazillion stones on the path!)


- Discovering a new fruit crumble using my favourite fruits.


Isn't there a phrase, a crumble without ice-cream is like a sky without stars? Or a chow-mein without noodles? Or a nerd without braces? There isn't?


Thankfully the ice-cream to the rescue at the last minute....


There you go. A complete crumble.


You may already now I'm a huge fan of crumbles...they're one of my ultimate comfort foods. And this crumble is second to my all time favourite apple crumble. Yum!

Anyways, I hope you a nice Monday today :)

Pineapple and Papaya Crumble
Adapted from Joy the Baker
I halved the recipe to make 2 small casserole dish.
  • 1 papaya, peeled and diced into cubes
  • 1 medium diced fresh pineapple
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (I omitted this)
  • 3 teaspoons cornstarch
  • sprinkle of ground cinnamon (just because it's autumn).
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
  • 1 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177C).

2. Toss diced fruit together in an 8-inch square baking dish (I used 2 small casserole dish). In a small dish, whisk together 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, 1/4 cup of flour, cinnamon and pinch of salt. Toss the mixture with the diced fruit. Set aside.


3. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the cold butter cubes. Use your fingers to break up the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture. Add the oats and toss together until the butter bits are about the size of the oat flakes.


4. Pour the oat mixture over the prepared fruit. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until juices from the fruit bubble up around the sides of the pan.

5. Remove the crumble from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Crumble is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream.

6. Crumble can we wrapped and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or wrapped in foil in a low oven.

______ makes you happy today?

32 comments:

Anonymous,  May 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM  

Your Japanese cheesecake made me happy today =) (I was so curious I had to try this weekend.) It's still Sunday over here... I plan to try your crumble on Monday. And expect it will make me happy Monday. Thanks, Viv.

Raji May 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Crumble and ice cream wow..can't ask for anything more..I am a big fan of apple crumble and this recipe with pineapple and papaya goes straight to my bookmark folder.

Jean May 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM  

wow my mouth is watering already! i love may too! lotsa public holidays to boot :P

sugarpuffi May 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM  

youve been working with pineapples and papayas lately arent u :P

and wtf! where did u get the haagen dazs from?!

Von May 3, 2011 at 12:11 AM  

I've only had crumbles a few times in my life....and I've never had it with ice cream! :O This looks so good- I'll have to make myself a crumble one day!

bossacafez May 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM  

viv, this looks great! people usually use berries or apples to make crumbles, yours use tropical fruits which is so readily available in where i live (singapore). gotta give it a try some day, hv bookmarked the recipe, thx for sharing it :))

Min {Honest Vanilla} May 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM  

Absolutely yummy! I wholeheartedly agree with crumble with ice cream is a must! Monday is always a dread for me but since today is a public holiday, I'm in love with today :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM  

Mm I bet the flavor is juuuust perfect! I love using different fruits in my crumbles, but haven't tried papaya!

Juliana May 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM  

I love your crumble...love it with pineapple and papaya, so tropical and yes, top it with ice cream! Have a wonderful week ahead Viviene :-)

Grace May 3, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Aww lovely post dear
reading this made me smile
Dancing like a dork to happy music def rates! Kickin back in a warm cafe watching people go by, walking thru busy markets, bookshops, watching the surf crash at the beach... Fruit crumble is pretty good too haha yum

Torviewtoronto May 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM  

delicious combination with ice cream crumble is even more tasty

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart May 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM  

Your happiness is rubbing off... I feel happy visiting your happy post!

Yummy and unique crumble! Do you think I could substitute Mango for the papaya? I am a little unfamiliar with both but I have 2 mango's at the moment.

Viv May 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM  

ricekernel: yay! glad you enjoyed the cheesecake :)

Raji: I'm a fan of the apple crumble tooo! Hope you try this tropical alternative soon!

Jean: Oh lucky girl. I don't think we've any public hols in May :(

sugarpuffi: haha yes yes my fruit love! got it from friends actually :P

Von: you must try it with icecream next time von!! Hope uni is going well for you!

bossacafez: I know...the first time ive used tropical fruits too! crumble is a great way to use up excess fruits heheh.

Min: So glad to hear you're living it up today :D

Leanne: Me too...i love trying diff combos but at the end of the day my fav is still apple lol.

Juliana: Tropical for sure! You have a lovely week ahead too Jul!

Grace: thanks hun! reading your comment made me smile too :D i love ppl watching in the cafe...let's do that next time we meet up!!

Torviewtoronto: thanks :)

LDH: I'm glad to hear :) I think you can use mangoes for sure but I dunno how they goes with pineapples? I've seen a few crumble recipes using mangoes and pear together with ginger! Sounds delish...hope you experiment with it and let me know how it goes too Lorraine :D

Carolyn Jung May 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

A tropical crumble! I so love the flavors you have here. I bet eating it tastes like being on vacation, too. ;)

chopinandmysaucepan May 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

The ice cream just brings everything together. Bright colours for a Monday :P

Joanne May 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

That is definitely a saying in my world. It's corollary is that tropical fruits without ice cream are just sad and lonely. Actually...anything without ice cream for that matter. What a delicious crumble!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) May 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM  

Aww that heart-shaped stone is so cute!

Vivian - vxdollface May 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

wonderful combination! i usually use berries, apples, pears or stone fruits, never thought of mixing papaya with pineapple :)

Dolly May 4, 2011 at 6:48 PM  

love the tropical look!

yumm.. wouldnt mind a bowl right now... assignmentiong is sooo stressful :(

Maris (In Good Taste) May 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

Love the photos and you have most definetly pictured one of my all time favorites-Hagen Dazs!

mr. pineapple man May 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

my 2 favorite fruits!! looks fab!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

All absolutely lovely thing to brighten any day of the week! :D

Karen May 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM  

Yum!!! I love tropical fruit, but it's impossible to get ripe pineapples and papayas in Austria. The crumble looks fabulous.

CarinE May 7, 2011 at 4:07 AM  

Oh gosh i have to leave a comment! Gorgeous photos! and HAAGEN DAZS with CRUMBLE!! GOTTA LOVE THEM!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef May 7, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

Wow! I would never have thought to make a crumble with these fruits. PS I love Oldies too!

Anonymous,  May 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

Beautiful crumble. Love the use or tropical fruits.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour May 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM  

I love fruit crumbles... they are so warm and comfy! The papaya / pineapple gives it a wonderful tropical spin!

Lori May 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

I can't wait to try this. We are finding more and more papayas, or really the large mamão like what we had in Brazil, here in Kentucky. I'll be using one in this for a summer dessert!

Anonymous,  November 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM  

Though beauty gives you a weird sense of entitlement, it's rather frightening and threatening to have others ascribe such importance to something you know you're just renting for a while. carseatsinfo.com |

carservicingchichester.com |

carshadeforkids.com |

cars-indy.com |

carsinsuranceireland.com |

carsoncampbellforjudge.com |

chrusciel-transport.com |

chumatransportlines.com |

ctc-autos.com |

deisyfuentesautos.com |

denverairporttransport.com |

donrapidotransportes.com |

forextrading4online.com |

articles4forextrading.com |

how2buildsmallbusiness.com |

Darren Demers December 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM  

Dancing like a dork to happy music def rates! Kickin back in a warm cafe watching people go by, walking thru busy markets, bookshops, watching the surf crash at the beach... Fruit crumble is pretty good too haha yum bed sheet set online , queen bed sheet sets , premium bed sheets , bridal bed sheets online shopping , all seasons duvet , vicky razai , sofa covers canada , velvet quilt

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP