Edamame beans pancake

>> Saturday, June 4, 2011


The weekend is here. Hello!

June is here too.  Hi too, but I just didn't expect you in such a hurry!

How can it be that I haven't accomplished much this year and we're already half way through the year?

Not good.

Especially if I continue to get through my weekends like this.

And by 'this', I mean something along the lines of sleeping in and long lazy breakfast.

Like today.


But in my defense, breakfast shouldn't be hurried.

I've enough of breakfast on the run in my life that I almost think they should be banned.

While recovering from my wisdom teeth extraction a few weeks ago, I've learnt how to eat properly again.

Slowly. Purposefully. With intention. Savouring each bite. Not gulping down. Sitting down (the multi-tasker in me used to eat and run errands at the same time). T.V off. Away from computer or any techie devices. And preferably with good companies (but alone is also do-able too!).



So, edamame beans is a type of green soybean that is normally cooked in salted water and eaten as a side dish in Japanese (and sometimes Chinese) cuisine.

It is also something that we could all do with more off as it's loaded with carbs, protein, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, manganese and vitamin K... Good healthy food to start the weekend ensures a happy and productive weekend (disclaimer: not tried and tested but will report back with my results post-weekend).


This morning, I've chosen to have my edamame beans pureed (with almond milk) and added to my pancake mix. The taste the beans wasn't prominent in the pancake so next time I will definitely use more in my recipe, but it does add a beautiful faint green colour to this breakfast food.

Edamame Beans Pancakes
Inspired by Masa
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour + 2 tbsl whole wheat flour
  • 
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar

  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 cup cooked edamame beans (you could use up to 3/4 cup)
  • 
1 cup almond milk (or regular full cream/skim milk)
  • 
1 1/2 tbsp oil
 (I used rice bran oil)
  • 1 egg

  • sprinkle of salt
  • honey (to taste)
1. Put the edamame beans and the milk in a blender and mix until smooth.


2. Whisk together the bean mixture from previous step, oil, honey and egg in a bowl.

3. Combine with the dry ingredients - flour. baking powder, salt.


4. Heat a nonstick pan with few drops of oil and ladle some mixture into hot pan. This recipe will make 3 large/thick pancakes, or 4-5 smaller pancakes.


Don't forget to top with some good quality honey too!

This weekend I'm going to be celebrating Dragon Boat Festival by eating lots of zongzi (sticky rice stuffed with fillings in bamboo leaves!)

And I also have a flight to catch to go back to my other 'home'! 

Sounds like a busy weekend already methinks!

Happy weekend and talk to you soon!

32 comments:

Aizi June 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

wow, i wouldn t have thought of putting edamame or even almond milk in a pancake mixture, but it certainly sounds very good! have a good weekend and enjoy the Dragon Boat Festival... especially the zongzi!

Jessica's Dinner Party June 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM  

I love the color of that almond milk+edamame. Almond milk has become a new favorite of mine and I've always loved edamame. I can eat a whole bowlful without getting sick of them. Nice idea to put them in pancakes!

Cooking Gallery June 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

You're right, it's scary to notice how fast time flies...! This is such a creative idea, pancakes with edamame...sounds like a healthy breakfast too :).

OohLookBel June 4, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

The edamame pancakes have such a lovely shape (round!). I like to smother my pancakes in honey, so your tip is noted. Have a good trip.

Lori June 4, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

Not only are these beautiful, but I'm in awe of the edamame for breakfast. What a great idea! Honey would be such a great topping!

Su-yin June 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

I love pancakes and edamame, but have never thought of having them together. Thanks for the great idea, will have to try this out.

Anonymous,  June 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

It's so weird to add edamame to pancakes. But they do look good!

grub June 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

i added some edamame puree in a mushipan mix lately, it doesn't leave much of a taste though. i prefer eating them with a sprinkle of salt.

Raji June 5, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

This is a lovely idea to add edamame beans to the pancakes..wonderful fluffy pancakes.
I too had my wisdom teeth extracted last year..and girl it was not a pleasant experience..hope you have recovered completely.

Von June 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM  

I know! June has come so quickly....
I don't usually have many breakfasts in a hurry- which is why I usually wake up a lot earlier than I have to! I think I've only ever had edamame beans once, but I have no memory of what they taste like! I would never have thought of putting them in a pancake though!! :)

Jean June 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

i didnt know you can use edamame beans in pancakes as well! to be honest, I'm not a fan of these beans...but I'll be glad to eat the pancakes cos they look so delicious!

Anonymous,  June 6, 2011 at 1:18 AM  

I love this idea, Vivienne! Incidentally we had green pancakes for breakfast today as well -matcha pacakes =) This is on my "try" list very soon. I'm with you about breakfast (sigh). Hope you have a leisurely rest of the weekend!

Vivian - vxdollface June 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

Other home .. Sydney? :)
This recipe would be good for the skin/complexion too! Off to make it for breakfast now :D
I started eating zongzi yesterday ^^

Jeannie June 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

That sounds like a delicious pancake! Edamame beans are my favorite...happy zongzi festival to you!

Ladybird June 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

What a brilliant way to incorporate such a healthy food into something so scrumptious! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Yi @ Yi Reservation June 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

I've never switched away from the old-fashioned butter cream pancakes for my breakfast. I think it's about the time after seeing your pancakes.

Happy Dragon Boat Festival to you and enjoy the zongzi(I'll try to fetch some tomorrow after work if I get off early enough)!

Tina@foodboozeshoes June 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

Ooh, not very green at all - would love to see pics if/when you make very green ones :)
I like zongzi in winter - so comforting...!

Joanne June 7, 2011 at 5:51 AM  

Ummm sooo, these pancakes look like an AWESOME weekend achievement! You should feel super proud and accomplished. No lie.

Juliana June 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM  

How interesting the flavor of these pancakes, like the idea of using edamame and almond milk...how about adding soy milk? Like the pictures and will have to try this recipe on a weekend :-) Have a great week Vivienne!

kirbie June 7, 2011 at 7:07 AM  

What a creative idea for edamame beans! The pancakes look so fluffy

Zoe June 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

I love your creativity of using edamame and almond milk to make pancakes. I wouldn't think of that.

The Cilantropist June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM  

Well hello there! Clearly we were meant to be friends since our names are so similar... ;)

And wow, this recipe is so unique! I would have never thought to try edamame in pancakes but I bet it works! Thanks for sharing!

sugarpuffi June 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM  

you make pancakes healthy. wtf! how is that even possible haha! btw i had some maccas hot cakes the other day slathered in whipped butter and syrup....nothing like urs :)

Maria June 9, 2011 at 5:49 AM  

Yum, I love edamame, these pancakes sound perfect!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy June 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

This is such a creative & healthy recipe ! I dont think I have ever seen something like that!! Thank so much for sharing- straight up my try list!

Anonymous,  December 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM  

I want to visit to start my day. I also admire your selection. I’ll be back soon for more discussions. As of the moment I’ll just leave a quick post just letting you know I love your blog.surfing-fitness.com |

teamsurvivalfitnessbootcamp.com |

betterhealthadvantage.com |

healthpractitionerswebsites.com |

montclairvafitness.com |

gardnerfinehomes.com |

rentaranchhouse.com |

1088house.com |

actifhouse.com |

adi-house.com |

almondfornchouse.com |

ashbourne-house.com |

beachhousemovies.com |

bealehouse.com |

beerandwinemakingwarehouse.com |

Anonymous,  February 21, 2014 at 6:13 AM  

Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon.www.snteducationaltrust.com |

www.educationtransaction.com |

www.twins4fashion.com |

www.surfing-fitness.com |

www.eastcoastpassivehouse.com |

Unknown December 23, 2016 at 8:43 AM  

This site truly has all the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask
http://mchaabaty.com/pictures/
http://mchaabaty.com/luxurious/
http://mchaabaty.com/red-bricks/
https://decor-ksa.com/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP