Apple and Tomato Gazpacho

>> Tuesday, July 26, 2011


You're probably wondering why I am attempting all these summer-y dishes in the middle of winter - first the Japanese anmitsu with matcha ice-cream and now this gazpacho, the Spanish cold and raw vegetable soup.

Sometimes not everything has to make sense, friends.

All I know is that I am possibly suffering from a bad case of winter blues that only my canine friend here can understand...


Just kidding!

I don't have the winter blues because I get to drink hot chocolate and have hot showers. *thankful* The dog above was only giving me the look because I wouldn't share my hot chocolate.

And the reason I made this gazpacho on a cold and wet day was because that day happened to be the 22nd July - a date marked in my diary to make this soup. Why?

It's time for my second contribution to Stephane Reynaud's 365 challenge (initiated by publisher Murdoch books), of course! (First is here) The aim is for all keen foodies to cook through the cookbook 365 Good Reasons to Sit Down to Eat in one year!

Well, at least this recipe makes total sense to the rest of the world experiencing the summer heat at the moment.


This is not your usual Spanish gazpacho however. Instead of the typical cucumbers, onions, capsicums and garlic used to make a gazpacho, only apples are used here along with tomatoes! Many recipes I've seen also use bread crumbs (or stale bread) into the blended soup, unlike this no-carb one.

Anyhow, to make this soup...

First you'll need the following ingredients! (Plus salt and pepper of course!)


Even though this is a raw soup, you'll still need to slightly boil the tomatoes so that the skins can come off easily. Much fun - this is my favourite step!


And you'll need to cut the apples into both cubes (for blending) and matchsticks (for garnish!)

You could practice your knife skills here too!


Blend the apple cubes and tomatoes together into a puree (I used my bamix) and pour in the cider vinegar and olive oil. Season it up and you're good to go! Not surprisingly everything came together in less than 10 minutes! Speedy!


This is a light tomato soup sweetened by the apples while the spring onions give it a slight punch. The addition of the sour cider vinegar (apparently an age-old home remedy that we could all have more of!) complements the other flavours well while the apple matchsticks add a nice texture! *crunch* 

As much as I enjoyed this refreshing gazpacho (which I had while all rugged up in a heated room in my make-believe-it's-summer state of mind) I couldn't help feel something was missing. Perhaps I would blend in some bread to add more body to the soup next time! 

Or perhaps my body was just craving for something steaming hot and hearty.... 

I think the next time I'll see this soup again would be on the hottest days in summer! :)


Apple and tomato gazpacho
Serves 6
Prep time: 20 minutes
  • 6 tomatoes
  • 3 granny smith apples
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 bulb spring onion (scallions)
  • 100ml cider vinegar
  • 100ml olive oil
  • salt and pepper
1. Cut a cross in the base of the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove the skins.

2. Peel two of the apples, cut them into cubes, then cut the third (unpeeled) into thin matchsticks and combine with the lemon juice.

3. Finely slice the spring onions.

4. Puree the tomatoes with the apple cubes, add the cider vinegar, olive oil and spring onions and season.

5. Serve garnished with the apple matchsticks and drizzle with olive oil.


I hope you smile today :)

20 comments:

Aizi July 27, 2011 at 4:42 AM  

veeeery nice! i really will have to try this one! if it makes you any happier... even tho it s supposed to be summer here, temperatures are not rising above 17-20°C... so feels autumnal here. it really does make you want to bring all the flavors of summer into the house doesn t it?
keep warm Viv!

Maris (In Good Taste) July 27, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

It's summer here in the states so this is perfect!

Maureen July 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

I love the combination of apples and tomatoes. I will try this on a warmer day than today though. :) Looks delicious.

sugarpuffi July 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

we are just too cool to have seasons totally opposite with the rest of the world. love gazpacho no matter what the season!

Joyti July 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM  

Its summer here, in the U.S., so all of the summery dishes fit right in.
The gazpacho sounds really delicious, and fresh and light...

Anh July 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

I love the idea of this gazpacho! Bookmarked for summer :)

Lori July 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

This is the perfect seasonal soup for us right now! It is the time of year where tomatoes have started to ripen and early apples are ready as well. It looks wonderful!

Dolly July 27, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

this looks ever so healthy..

PFx July 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM  

I've been craving the same summery thing too, even in the snowy NZ. Took me ages to find some of the ingredients I craved. I think a little fresh kick in the winter brings out a lot of hope in the darkness.
I love how you present the granny smith on the glass. And that toasted wholegrain bread, I just wish I was there to have a bite and dip and just chat away about random stuff. Lovely!

Zoe July 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

Looking at the weather today, it seems that winter is going away soon...

These are great food ideas for coming Spring seasons. The colours are so bright and lovely. Seeing your post has got me into Spring now.

Joanne July 29, 2011 at 4:05 AM  

Given that I'm currently in the northern hemisphere where it's five hundred thousand degrees, I wholeheartedly approve of this post!

Janine July 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

wow this looks amazing! and given that it's "summer" all year round here, I sure could use some gazpacho! And although it seems very different from the one I'm used to, I'm sure this is equally or if not more yummy!

Karen July 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

Great recipe, Viv! The apples are a great twist on the traditional gazpacho. And your photos are superb! Also enjoyed the step-by-step guide for the Japanese dessert. Such interesting and different ingredients.
Stay warm!

Yi @ Yi Reservation August 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM  

Although I am still relatively new to chilled soups but I did like gazpacho when I first had it last year.

This is a perfect soup for the hot summer days here in New York!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie August 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM  

Hope you smile too. Lovely write up dearie :)

chopinandmysaucepan August 2, 2011 at 7:14 AM  

Looks awesome!! I love those apple matchsticks. Great job.

Kazia Jankowski August 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

What a delicious recipe! I love that you sweetened the traditional gazpacho with apples. The tartness must go perfectly with the tomatoes!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef August 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM  

Great photos! I had a lot of gazpacho in France (and it was kinda cold when I visited) so I say, "Eat gazpacho when you want!" (Esp when it looks so good!) PS Glad you have pics of your adventurous self too! (On an atv too?!)

Nami | Just One Cookbook August 25, 2011 at 6:53 AM  

I really enjoy your photo. It's very homey and I just love the feeling I get from looking at your photos (sorry I can't explain well how I like them). The gazpacho is awesome! Very nice treat for a warm day like today!

Anonymous,  November 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM  

Though beauty gives you a weird sense of entitlement, it's rather frightening and threatening to have others ascribe such importance to something you know you're just renting for a while. carsvector.com |

anautomaticcar.com |

mclaren-auto.com |

auto-mortgage.com |

astautoservice.com |

1888cashforallcars.com |

armocksautosal.com |

armocksautosalvage.com |

arniesautoshop.com |

bensautomotiveservices.com |

bundycommercialcars.com |

burtbrosautomotive.com |

buyandretailusedcars.com |

carscoachcarter.com |

carseats001.com |

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP