Black Rice with Edamame Beans

>> Friday, July 1, 2011


In the past 48 hours I...

...went through a whole packet of lemsip and strepsils.

...probably looked like a crazy lady with dirty hair sticking out in every directions, 2 pairs of socks (at least they were matching!), and layers of baggy clothes that somehow stretch bigger year after year. Oh and a red nose + a box of tissue tucked under my arms where ever I went.

...wondered when I would feel like a functional and useful human being again.

...browsed through every top 20s of each genre on iTune in bed.

...captured the amazing colours of the sky outside my window.


...received 2 cards from 2 special friends - both have sent me birthday cards every year without fail since we were 9 - definitely brightened up this bedridden girl's day!

...tried to entertain myself at home:


...was sad to have to have to drop out of lunch (at Quay!) - something I've looked forward to for so long.

...hoped that somebody would cook something delicious for me and feed it to me in bed while I watch a movie but realised that's not going to happen ;)

...discovered the only vegetable supply I have at home is in the frozen form. 


At times of sickness, it's only appropriate to load your body up with something nourishing...like, black rice! And yes, my frozen vege supply - edamame beans.

So have you tried cooking black rice before?

Things I found out:

- It stains (lucky I had my baggy sick clothes on)! Once cooked, it turns into a dark burgundy colour. Prettty!

- It hold its shape well after cooked and is pleasantly chewy

- It's packed with nutrition - low in sugar, high in fibre and plant compounds. 

- It's is also known as 'forbidden rice' because originally in China, only the nobles were allowed to eat it! I'm glad I'm a woman of today.

- Apparently, "just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar, and more fibre and vitamin E antioxidants." Source here.
  

Anyways, I decided to cook the black rice with loads of onions and garlic in chicken stock, topped generously with those healthful edamame beans. I've made this a few times in the past (the photos are from my previous attempts) and I love how a simple bowl like this never fails to make me feel good afterwards.

While I'm still a sick mess (and quite a sight too) at the moment, but I have a feeling the next 48 hours might just turn for the better :)


Black Rice with Edamame Beans
  • 1 cup black rice
  • ~2 cups homemade chicken stock (or you can use water or vegetable stock)
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, whole (if you don't like garlic, don't add it!)
  • 1-2 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1/2 cup edamame beans
1. Rinse the rice.

2. Heat a bit of of oil in a pan and cook the garlic and onion until almost translucent.

3. Add the rinsed rice and cook for around 1 minute.

4. Add the chicken stock as well as the soy sauce and bring to boil. 

5. At this stage, I transfer the rice into my rice cooker and let it cook. But you can also reduce heat to a simmer and cover - cook for 30 minutes.

6. Finally, take the beans out of the defrosted pods and add generously over a bed of flavoursome black rice!


I wish you a lovely weekend ahead :) 

Stay warm (or cool if you're on the other hemisphere).

24 comments:

chow and chatter July 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

great recipe and hope your feeling better soon

OohLookBel July 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM  

Love the contrasting colours of the rice and edamame. A bowl of this is bound to make you feel better (though personally, I do like a hot sausage roll).

grub July 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM  

sorry to hear you are sick on your birthday! hope you get well soon! btw my mum likes to add black rice to her red bean soup

PFx July 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

Oh of course, this will be a brilliant combination! My Korean mum tend to mix black rice with Korean white rice, it'd then turn purple.

I am in the same hemisphere with your, bitter and cold here. But not as seemingly as miserable as you, a sick winter birthday? I hope you find yourself a memento of cold-comfort. Get well!

Maris(In Good Taste) July 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

Looks very healing. Feel better soon

jenius July 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

Happy belated birthday! Love what you've done with the edamame bean on the rose stem! :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart July 2, 2011 at 3:58 AM  

Not sick on your birthday! Hope you feel better soon. The black rice is so lovely with the contrasting color of the edamame.

I will have to try doodling on veggies the next time I am under the weather. Actually do I have to wait to get sick because it looks kinda fun. :)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef July 2, 2011 at 5:23 AM  

Great way to entertain yourself! That picture made me laugh. :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM  

Aw I hope you feel better soon! That dish looks great. The rice looks so beautiful. I just bought some and can't wait to try it :)
I actually just tried your oatmeal raisin spelt cookies last week and we really loved them! I hope you wont mind if I post the recipe on my blog in the near future and link back to you. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Anonymous,  July 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

I've never had black rice... or edamame, for that matter. This sounds like adventure for me, more than a mere recipe. I'm going to have to buy both and try the recipe.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour July 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

Get well soon!! I love edamame so this looks great to me! Take good care of yourself.

Maria July 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

I hope you're feeling better! I've been sick too, not fun :-( Edamame is so yummy!

Aizi July 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

oh, i do hope making and eating this healthy looking/sounding dish made you feel better. do get well soon! edamame are a favorite of mine too. haven t tried the black rice yet (only stained black with squid-ink) so must look out for that.

Vivian - vxdollface July 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM  

hope you're feeling better now!
hehe mum makes this recipe once every fortnight as a detox, she adds in azuki beans, chestnuts and sultanas as a natural sweetener!

Vivian - vxdollface July 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

btw happy belated birthday dear xx

Yi @ Yi Reservation July 5, 2011 at 1:04 AM  

I hope you get well soon!

This sounds like a good idea to use up the half bag of black rice I have left over from my last attempt on coconut black rice pudding....Thank!

Von July 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

I'm sick too! :( *sigh* Unlike you, I've been snacking on...snack :D haha....cookies, chips, ice cream- whatever junk I can find in my house! I've never tried cooking black rice though- I love the chewy texture of it too!

Joyti July 6, 2011 at 4:15 AM  

O, I hope you feel better soon.
The dish looks very comforting and delicious...and nice for being sick, or well, either way. I do like forbidden rice...I used it for rice pudding and for jook/congee/kanji (it turned purple!).

Joanne July 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

Oh no! Stop feeling so sick! If anything will cure you. It's edamame.

That's Ron July 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM  

Great recipe! get well soon

Zoe July 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

I have not tried black rice before.

Since it is formally known as "forbidden rice", I think that I should try this rice too in order to be one of the modern-day "nobles".

sugarpuffi July 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

love it when u still think of quirky things with ur edamame beans when sick! such a shame u missed out on Quay with us >-< we must meet up next time!

Cookie and Kate July 16, 2011 at 4:41 AM  

I saw some black rice at a local gourmet store and wondered what to do with it. Now that I know a little more about it, I can't wait to try it! It's beautiful, too.

Anonymous,  November 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM  

Though beauty gives you a weird sense of entitlement, it's rather frightening and threatening to have others ascribe such importance to something you know you're just renting for a while. dutchmensportschannel.com |

topcricketplayers.com |

datasecuritytips.com |

softwares4office.com |

bestapplication4internet.com |

techstorelb.com |

technologycrescent.com |

travel4airline.com |

travellerquest.com |

motorhomeshoouse.com |

aguidetotravell.com |

travelgadling.com |

blog4travell.com |

guru4travell.com |

cheapairtravell.com |

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP