Hidemi Sugino + Pierre Marcolini + Qu'il Fait Bon - Ginza

>> Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fruit, mango, berries and white peach tarts from Qu'il Fait Bon

I used to be a planner. Usually before I travel I'd have my daily schedules planned down to the hours and all the contact details of restaurants, hotels and tourist sights etc. saved in my notepad.

However I've learnt that like life - things don't usually turn out the way I plan. In my previous 2 visits to Tokyo, I had intended to try Hidemi Sugino and Qu'il Fait Bon, both rather reputable in Tokyo for their desserts. But this was not to be as it turned out the days I visited those places the lines were so long that I was informed that I'd have to be in line for at least 45 minutes. I dislike waiting in line with a passion. I really do. So I promised myself to come back another day.

This visit to Tokyo I didn't plan much. All I know is that I'd dedicate a day to satisfy my sweet tooth from morning to night. I set my alarm clock the day before and saved the addresses on my phone. I was determined not to miss out again like previous times!

[1] Hidemi Sugino


This is located down an anonymous alley in Ginza (took us a good half hour to find this place in the scorching heat!) and known for its long queue even before its opening hour (true fact). It serves the 'best mousse cakes' as it is known and when I first heard of this place from this other blogger I knew I had to try.


I got there around 20 minutes before opening time and there were already 6 people in line.

Then 2 staff came out and talked in Japanese for 5 minutes - I'm told that they were informing us the rules - that no photos are allowed in the store, there is a limit on how much one can buy and also some cakes are not available for take-aways only dine-ins. Strict huh!? Guess this is what they have to do if they serve the 'best cakes in the world'.
There were 6 cakes in store that we were not allowed to take out so J and I decided to have them as breakfast since we were in such a rush in the morning. I ordered the Ambroisie, which I believe is Sugino's trademark (what won him the Coupe du Monde in 1991). It was amazing - it looked perfect and really lived up to the hype. It was light and airy but at the same time the flavours were so pure yet distinct. It wasn't too sweet as well - which is a major plus for me!
I ordered 4 to take away and the lady told me to put it in the fridge as soon as I go home. Since I couldn't go home as I still had other places to try, I carried it for hours in the summer heat, and as a result, when I got home the cakes looked like they were in an accident. Slightly bruised and wonky. :(


Everest - base: fromage blanc mousse, top: chantilly cream, middle: red fruit confiture.


Sous Bois

Mangue cassis

I can't remember this name! ;) It's raspberry and chestnut cream.

You can read more about Sugino's cakes in details from this blog or see cross-sections of the cakes from here as we devoured them before taking more photos! ;)

[2] Qu'il Fait Bon

Can you believe I was the only customer in store when I got there at 11:30am?! Earlier this year when I was here, the lines were so long that people were out waiting on the streets!

This place is famous for its fruit tarts! I got 4 slices to go :)

Mango tart (my favourite!)

Fruit combo tart

White peach tart

Berries tart

I thought the fruit tarts are among the best I've tried - especially the mango ones. I will be back here again soon for more seasonal fruit tarts! :)

[3] Pierre Marcolini

I love Sadaharu Aoki's eclairs, but I read somewhere that Pierre Marcolini makes even better eclairs at the same price (600 yen)!

Chocolate eclair


The verdict: it is so delicate and the chocolate buttercream is so strong and delicious. It's smaller than Aoki's eclairs but I have to agree that it is better :)

Chocolate and choc chip mint ice-cream
By this time, I was so full that I could hardly walk (we just had a 10-course meal at Yonemura in between the dessert mission hehe).
It's been a memorable day but I won't be stuffing myself with more sweets like this again anytime soon.

11 comments:

Julie July 17, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

this post is very painful... save me a crumb or two please!

Angela July 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM  

All this is lovely and mouthwatering, but somehow one of the simplest sweets appeals to me most: the white peach tart. I just love white peaches. Was it good?

Viv July 21, 2010 at 2:12 AM  

Julie: haha wish i could freeze these and take them back home with me ;)

Angela: yes! it's quite a nice combination...esp the crust and custard was so good and it's the peak of white peach season here!

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry July 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Oh my gosh, you are torturing me with the photo of that eclair. I want one right now!

Anonymous,  July 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

So jealous!!!!

hui yee.

PS. Glad you're having fun =)

Maria July 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

OMG I'm soooo jealous! I can't wait to go to Japan!!! Enjoy!!

SK August 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

Those looks so sensational!! The chocolate eclair for me. :)

grace September 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM  

i love your photos
fruity desserts are the best!

PS. man, 10 course meal in between?! that's what i call a gooood effort

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP