Tokyo - Day 1 & 2

>> Monday, July 5, 2010

Green tea mousse, red beans and cream against the Tokyo buildings in Shinjuku

Konnichiwa! It's been a week since I've touched down in Tokyo and so far everything has been oiiishiii (delicious!)

Despite being sick in bed for 2 days (bad case of flu) I am grateful that I've recovered and am now up and running (clocking up to 30,000 steps per day according to my pedometer - yes, I wear one only because of the Global Corporate Challenge).

I'll let the photos do the talking for now...will post more later. Tomorrow I will be on a short trip to Mt. Takao...definitely looking forward to get out of the neon lights and high rise buildings.

On sad note - yesterday I went clothes shopping for the first time and made some purchases which I was really excited about... Then being ever so forgetful, I left the bags in one of the changing rooms and someone stole them :( It has *everything* I bought yesterday. Boo. Why you thief....you've scarred me and made me question people's integrity.

Ok let's move on. I'm over it! :P

On a happy note, I have made reservations for a few Michelin star restaurants for next week. Do you know that there are now more Michelin 3-star restaurants in Tokyo than in Paris?! Well, you do know now!

Yummy fruit jelly...they taste better if you freeze them too!

My new favourite yoghurt in Japan - with chunks of aloe vera...hmmm.

I got this braised dish from the supermarket as I was too sick to eat out.

Again from the supermarket - tempura

Jumbo frog eggs. Hahhaa ok it's not. First time I had this green tea flavoured agar agar jelly. So refreshing and addictive.

You add some sugar syrup + soy bean powder on top of it!

Tonkatsu lunch from a food court


This is SO good. Gelato (pistachio and Bacio) from 0101 (Marui) department store in Shinjuku.

A famous ramen chain in Shinjuku



This creme brulee from the above ramen chain is surprisingly good.

I bought these egg pudding/custard from Isetan dept. store....sooo good!

The BEST maple chiffon cake ever. It's like eating fluffy cloud. We actually finished one in one sitting!

With salmon rice...

All different flavours of bean curd rice ball (what's the proper name for these?!)


I was sooo intrigued by these desserts that I bought the green tea/red bean one! Great slick design!


Pretty candies

Okonomiyaki!

Yakitori to take home!

Colourful macarons...

Love the colours of these delectable treats

Fruit jelly from Shiseido

Fruit tart!

They have rows and rows of desserts like this in Isetan dept. store. I walked around this level for hours and hours.

Heart shaped watermelon! These are so expensive!

Love the marblings....hmmm.

Serve your own green tea at a sushi train. Everyone has their own tap and matcha powder in front of them.


Steammmyy miso soup


The juiciest and plump-est scallops ever!

That's all for now. I'll post more photos for you to drool over later ;)

[If you're going to Tokyo and are interested in finding out where any these food places are, feel free to send me an email!]

8 comments:

Cynthia July 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

I had to wipe the drool from my mouth after looking at these amazing treats. I'm so jealous of all the delicious food you get to eat!

Duong July 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

You're cruel! I'll have two of everything. Thanks!

SK August 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

How much was the heart shaped watermelon?

Viv August 4, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

SK - I don't recall the exact figure but something around AUD$70!

grace September 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM  

LOL
your photos are confirming everything i've ever heard about japan being a food paradise. even the supermarket food looks oishii~~!
and watch out... im going to be consulting you about food options when i go to japan!

sad to hear about your stuff being stolen btw =(

Mary Catherine April 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

Beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing!

SweetApples November 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

The "bean curd rice ball" is inari right? :D I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm in heaven haha

Viv November 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM  

yes it is :)

looking back on this old post of mine makes me salivate too :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP